Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A healthy alternative to chips!

So I bought this gigantic white yam the other day.  I thought I would attempt to make baked fries or chips with it and get my munchkins to eat it.  I didn't try to fool my 4 and 6 year old and trick them into eating it.  I told them it was chips made out of a yam.  I don't believe you should try to trick your kids to get them to eat their veggies. 

First I turned the oven to 450 degrees.  I cleaned the yam and sliced it into fairly thin slices to make into chips.  I brushed a cookie sheet with butter and laid the yam slices out.  I then brushed the top with butter again and then sprinkled them with season salt.  I baked them on each side for about 7 minutes until the chips were crispy.  I laid them out on paper towels to dry.  I couldn't even get my 6 year old to try them and my 4 year old only ate 1.  I personally thought they were really good and was the only one that ate them.  I really liked the sweet and salty contrast.  Maybe I will try this again with a different kind of root veggie or potato another time.  Hopefully, I will have better luck. 


No comments:

Post a Comment