Monday, December 19, 2011

Cut Out Holiday Cookies

My mom had this really neat kid's cookie book when we were kids.  She actually saved the cookbook all of these  years and now I have it.  It might be falling apart a bit, but I love this cookbook and all the fun recipes it has.  The recipe I'm about to give you comes from a cookbook called Cookies for Kids (by Better Homes and Gardens).  I make these cookies with my kids every year.  These cookies are very simple to make and I love that they have a great buttery flavor.  I will tell you though that they are not really a sugar cookie.  They aren't your typical puffy sugar cookie.  They taste more like a butter cookie or shortbread to me.  They are also egg free, so if  you have an egg allergy they work great too.



Ingredients 
  • 1 cup butter (I always use real butter.  Margarine does not work the same)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 TB milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 1/2 cups flour

In a large bown beat butter with the electric mixer on medium until softened.  Add the sugar and beat until fluffy.

Add the milk and vanilla.  Beat well.

Slowly beat in the flower until well mixed.  Mix in the rest of the flour with your hands.  

Divide the dough into 4 parts.  Wrap each part in plastic wrap.  Chill for 1 or 2 hours.  

Heat the over to 375 degrees.  Roll out one portion of dough at a time on a floured surface.  The dough should be rolled out to 1/4 inch thick.  Cut out the cookies with floured cutters.  Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet.  You can then decorate these however you want - colored sugar or sprinkles.  You can also decorate them with icing later if you prefer.  

Bake the cookies in a 375 degree oven for 8 minutes.  They should be lightly browned on the edge.  Allow the cookies to resp on the sheet for 1 minute after they come out.  

Recipe make 36 to 48 cookies.






No comments:

Post a Comment