Friday, December 30, 2011

Pita Pizza - a healthier way to make pizza!

I am a big fan of pizza.  I could probably eat pizza every single day and at every meal.  My kids could too.  I am always looking for great ways to make recipes healthier and still have them taste good.  The recipe I'm going to share with you is one of the tastier ways we prepare pizza at home without having to compromise on taste.  We used to make english muffin pizzas when I was a kid, but I really like the pita crust pizza better.  It seems more like real pizza crust to me.  I personally like to load mine up with lots of veggies.  I love toping it with olives, bell pepper and mushrooms.  My kids prefer just cheese or pepperoni.  What would you top yours with?




Ingredients to make a Pita Pizza
pita bread (I usually try and find whole wheat)
shredded cheese
marinara sauce or pizza sauce
toppings - veggies, pepperoni, sausage, ham, or whatever you want

Heat your oven to 400 degrees and place the pita bread in the oven on a cookie sheet.  Cook for about 5 minutes until a little bit crispy.  Take the pita bread out of the oven.  Leave it on the cookie sheet.  Spread on your sauce, top with cheese and other toppings.  Bake in the 400 degree oven for about 8 minutes or until cheese is melted.  Allow this to cool for a minute and then slice and serve.

This is a great for a quick lunch or dinner.  My kids really enjoy being able to make their own pizza and it's a little bit healtheir this way too!  What do you do to make your favorite foods healtheir?

2 comments:

  1. We buy pita bread all the time and I don't know why I never thought to do this! Much more healthier than take out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. I'm going to try this out!

    I'm stopping by from the hop and am a new facebook (via personal account), twitter and rss follower. Would love it if you'd visit my Facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/myBabySleepGuide

    blog rss
    http://www.mybabysleepguide.com/

    and twitter page
    http://twitter.com/#!/babysleepguide/

    Thanks!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete